This beautiful barn was
built in 1918, on the Amundson farm located 5 miles northeast of town. It was
built by a Swedish Immigrant named Mr. Kelly. It was donated to the Willing
4-H group in 2005. The 4-H’ers
started raising money in 2001 for this project and worked with the community
for it to come alive. After literally hundreds of volunteer hours by the 4-H’ers,
and friends of the 4-H’ers, the barn was finally moved on Nov. 9, 2005. The
massive size of the barn (36x 80 and 40 ft. high) made it quite a spectacle as
it was moved across country to its present location. The summer of 2006 was
spent squaring up the walls, building stalls, and painting the entire barn with
red paint and white trim.
Beier and Hagen
The Beier building
houses a kitchen and eating area with exhibits in the back. It was built by the
Northland Technical College carpentry classes. The Hagen building is
home to many antique tractors.
The Blacksmith Shop was
built by the Coon and Crocket Club of East Grand Forks. Make sure
you take time to read the “Village Blacksmith “ poem on the door. It
explains how the shop was the center of activity for a village.
The general store is the
original Hanson-Maves building, which was part of the East Grand Forks
business district. The building was built in 1902. Rick
Bergley and Curtis Berg donated it to the Heritage Village in 1985. The
General Store sells everything from penny candy to Sarsaparilla.
The Granville Church was
built in Granville, a tiny community two miles South of Oslo, MN, in 1895.
It was moved to Heritage Village on July 14, 1984. The church and tall steeple
is one of the oldest churches in the area. It can be seen for miles
and has become a landmark for our community. The church was recently
resided and the windows and front steps were replaced.
In 2008 the memorial
garden was built in memory of our founding fathers. Large granite benches
surround the garden and a large brick planter is nested in the center of the
garden; a quite place to spend time remembering those that are no longer with
The log cabin, barn, and
granary, located on the Heritage grounds were built by David Nisbet, and James
Lee with the help of other neighbors, on his land 1-1/2 miles East of Mallory,
MN, in 1871. David Nisbet, who never married,
homesteaded the land. David passed away in 1878. James Lee and
Christina Nesbit came from Lanark Ontario, Canada with their family of 10 in
1879, purchasing the land in 1885. It stayed in the Lee family until
1943, when Mrs. George Lee sold it to John and Grace Peterson in 1944. In 1977,
Mrs. Grace Peterson donated these buildings to the Chamber of Commerce in East
Grand Forks to be moved to Heritage Village. Construction was done by Harry
Tack Brothers, Agsco, Simplot, Nisbet Farms, EGF Lion’s Club, Valley Lumber,
and the EGF Area Vocational Technical Institute. A few of the logs were
replaced at Bob Pape’s farm with Mel Johnson cutting the lumber at his saw mill.
The sawmill was
made by R. R. Howell & Co. and is a Model #5.The sawmill had been
owned by Ole Bang, a bonanza farmer 2 1/2 miles South of Oslo, MN, the biggest
farmer in the area (about 4400 acres). He used the saw mill to cut timber
on his farm. The lumber was used to build his farm buildings. The
saw mill uses a 48" diameter carbide tipped blade which spins around 550
rpm. The carriage which holds the timber utilizes 3 separate locks to hold
the log in place and can cut 20' long timber. This particular saw requires
a 4 person crew minimum. The sawyer who controls the speed of the log as
it is fed into the saw blade, a carriage operator/rider who ensures the log is
safely clamped into place for going through the blade, another person to remove
the cut timber from the sawmill after each pass through the saw blade, and a
"tractor" operator who watches the whole operation and can stop the
saw blade and carriage from moving if there is danger seen or instructed to do
so by the sawyer. Currently the saw mill is used by Heritage Village volunteers
to saw timber for new and restoration building projects.
The log schoolhouse was
located on Mr. Harry Tack’s property just south of Oslo, MN. It was
built in the 1800’s as a settler’s cabin and used for a couple years as a
schoolhouse. There are many interesting books, maps, and school
equipment in this building. Make sure to check out the rules for the
teachers in 1915.
The Sherlock house is
one of the oldest houses in East Grand Forks, MN. It was built after the flood
of 1897, on the only dry spot; the corner of 4th St. and 3rd Ave. NW. It
was one of the first houses to have electricity. Jack Sherlock was a prominent
lawyer and judge. Mr. Sherlock was instrumental in bringing American Crystal
Sugar to East Grand Forks. Sherlock Park was named in his honor. The Sherlock house was moved to the Heritage
Village grounds after the flood of 1997. (Take note of the two
dates? 100 yr. flood?) The Sherlock House holds a special
place in our hearts as a monument to our heritage and the floods of 1897 and
The Sherlock House garden is maintained as a living exhibit
of home gardening. It is an educational exhibit regarding the importance of
home gardening in our nation's history. The organic garden is fertilized
bi-annually and vegetables are rotated regularly for optimal production. A
diluted organic soap mixture is sprayed on the plants to discourage the
rabbits. The garden harvest is shared with the community.
To help the United States win World War I and World War II,
civilians made do with less so there would be enough supplies for the armed
forces. Planting a Victory Garden was encouraged by the federal government to
supplement civilian shortages and allow raw materials to be diverted to the
military. Gardening and canning became patriotic acts. Mr. Wendell Landon began
making a Victory Garden exhibit by the Sherlock House in 2009. An heirloom plant variety is one that has
been maintained by gardeners and farmers over the years. These plant varieties
were commonly grown during earlier periods in history, but are not used in
modern large-scale agriculture. The Victory Garden has heirloom varieties that
are native Minnesota plants including raspberries, black currants and
strawberries. Swiss chard was popularized through Victory gardens.
The tool shed is a
“gift” from the Amundson family. It was moved on to the grounds July
2008. It provides a meeting place for the Busy Beaver wood carvers
and other community organizations.
The town hall was a
one-room schoolhouse in the Sullivan school district, just northeast of East Grand
Forks. When students started going to school in the surrounding towns it became
the Sullivan town hall. The shingles for the Town Hall were made
here at the Heritage Village by one of our members, Melvin Johnson with his own
invention we fondly call the shingle machine.