Historic EGF Heritage Center
The log cabin, barn, and granary, located on the Heritage grounds was built by David Nisbet, with the help of other neighbors, on his land 1-1/2 miles East of Mallory, MN, in 1871. They all resided with David and shared in using the buildings while they laid claim to and farmed distinct different portions of neighboring land. The Nisbet family lived on the premises until 1877, when David passed away. James Lee came with his family of 10 in 1879, purchasing the land in 1885. It stayed in the Lee family until 1943, when Mrs. George Lee sold it to John and Grace Peterson.
In 1978, Mrs. Grace Peterson donated these buildings from the Mallory Estate to the EGF Heritage Center. The volunteer members from the Heritage Village numbered each log, dismantled the buildings and returned them to their original condition at their present location.
A picture in the cabin shows James and Christian (Nisbet) Lee in front of the cabin with some of their 10 children and the dressmaker. (In years later she turned out to be the grandmother of actress Jane Russel).
Heritage Village is proud to say that the descendents of the Nisbet and Lee family spend a lot of time keeping the cabin in top repair: Elaine Lee Olson, Betty McVeety Nisbet, Helen Nisbet and Jean Nisbet Roberts.
The shingles for the Farmstead and the Town Hall were made here at the Heritage Village by one of our members, Melvin Johnson with his own invention we fondly call the shingle machine.
The tool shed is another “gift” from the Amundson family. It was moved on to the grounds July 2008. It will be the home to our wonderful tools purchased from the Dakota Science Center and will give the Busy Beaver wood carvers a place to call home. It will also give us a place to offer classes in many things such as building, woodworking or carving.
Beier and Hagen Buildings
The Beier bldg. houses our kitchen and eating area along with some very nice exhibits in the back. It was built by the Northland Tech. Carpentry classes. The Hagen bldg. is home to many antique tractors.
In 2008 the memorial garden was built in memory of our founding fathers. Large granite benches surround the garden and a large brick planter is nested in the center of the garden. Benches were sold along with the bricks for the planter – all funds from these items will help maintain the life of the memorial garden. This is a special place for many and we hope that people take time to reflect and time to remember those that are no longer with us
The Granville Church built in Granville, a tiny community two miles South of Oslo, MN, in 1895, was moved here July 14, 1984. The church and tall steeple is one of the oldest churches in the area. It can be seen for miles and has become a landmark for our community. The church was recently resided and the windows and front steps were replaced. (The church can be rented for weddings and gatherings for a small donation.)
The Sherlock house is one of the oldest houses in EGF. It was built after the flood of 1897, on the only dry spot at the top of hill. It was one of the first houses to have electricity. Jack Sherlock and family made this their family home. He was a prominent lawyer and judge in EGF. Mr. Sherlock was instrumental in bringing American Crystal Sugar to EGF. Its former location was the corner of 4th St. and 3rd Ave. NW – It was directly across from Sherlock Park (named in his honor) and the Red River Recreational Park.
The Sherlock house was moved to the Heritage grounds after the flood of 1997. (Take note of the two dates? 100 yr. flood?) The house is an ongoing restoring project.
The Sherlock House holds a special place in our hearts as a monument to our heritage and the floods of 1897 and 1997.
This beautiful barn was built in 1918, on the Amundson farm by a Swedish Immigrant, Mr. Kelly, located 5 miles northeast of town. (One of our founding fathers watched it being built.) It was donated to the Willing Workers 4 H group in 2005. The 4H’ers started raising money in 2001 for this project and worked with the community for it to come alive. After literally hundreds of volunteer hours by the 4H’ers, and friends of the 4H’ers, the barn was finally moved on Nov. 9, 2005. The massive size of the barn (36x 80 and 40 ft. high) made it quite a spectacle as it was moved across country to its present location. The summer of 2006 was spent squaring up the walls, building stalls, and painting the entire barn with red paint and white trim. It is used during Heritage days to host the 4H petting zoo and many other activities including a “barn dance”.
Our town hall was a one-room schoolhouse in the Sullivan school district, just northeast of EGF. When students started going to school in the surrounding towns it became the Sullivan town hall. It is now used as our very own “Ice Cream Parlor” during Heritage days and houses some of our historic pictures and videos.
The Fram exhibit displays the old steam boiler from a Fram ship that sailed up and down the Red River of the North from Fargo to Winnipeg, during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The old log schoolhouse was located on Mr. Harry Tack’s property just south of Oslo, MN. It was built in the 1800’s as a settler’s cabin and used for a couple years as a schoolhouse. There are many interesting books, maps, and school equipment in this building. Make sure to check out the rules for the teachers in 1915.
The Blacksmith Shop was built by the Coon and Crocket Club of EGF. Make sure you take time to read the “Village Blacksmith “ poem on the door. It explains how the shop was the center of activity for a village. It is still in use during our Heritage Days.
The general store is the original Hanson-Maves building, which was part of the EGF business district. The building was built in 1902. Rick Bergley and Curtis Berg donated it to the Heritage Foundation in 1985. Our General stores sells everything from penny candy to Sarsaparilla.
The sawmill was made by R. R. Howell & Co. and is a Model #5.The sawmill had been owned by Ole Bang, a bonanza farmer 2 1/2 miles South of Oslo, MN, the biggest farmer in the area, about 4400 acres. He used the saw mill to cut timber on his farm. The lumber was used to build his farm buildings. The saw mill uses a 48" diameter carbide tipped blade which spins around 550 rpm. The carriage which holds the timber utilizes 3 separate locks to hold the log in place and can cut 20' long timber. This particular saw requires a 4 person crew minimum. The sawyer who controls the speed of the log as it is fed into the saw blade, a carriage operator/rider who ensures the log is safely clamped into place for going through the blade, another person to remove the cut timber from the sawmill after each pass through the saw blade, and a "tractor" operator who watches the whole operation and can stop the saw blade and carriage from moving if there is danger seen or instructed to do so by the sawyer. Currently the saw mill is used on the East Grand Forks Heritage Village grounds and saws timber for new and restoration building projects.